- Appearance: Black Jersey Giants have black feathers, with a green tint. They may also have some very dark brown in the shanks. They have a red single comb, red earlobes, yellow skin, a beak that at the base is black with a slight yellow tint at the tip, along with dark brown eyes.
- Weight: Rooster-13 Hen-10 Cockerel-11 Pullet-8* These chickens will grow at the same rate as other chickens, but will not fill out until later in their life, so they are not used commercially.
- Purpose: Black Jersey Giants are a dual-purpose chicken.*
- Origin: New Jersey, America
- Common: Watch
- Egg Color: Light Brown
- Egg Size: X-Large
- Eggs a week/year: 3-4 a week/175-185 a year. This is more than most large chicken breeds.
- Broody: Yes*
- Confinement: Good, they are mellow by nature, and don't fly very high because of their weight.
- Compatibility: Good, as with any other chicken they will participate in a pecking order, and might end up towards the bottom because of their more laid-back attitudes.
- Hardy: They are rather cold hardy with their large frame, but may not be as heat hardy for the same reason.
- Bantam: Yes*
- Personality: They are laid-back and mellow by nature, but will not be as intimidated as other chickens might be because of their size.*
Photo courtesy of Flickr user: winsomebulldog
Information courtesy of: http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/jerseygiant.html
*For more information on terms above see Key to Chicken Entries